"Remember man that you are dust and unto dust you shall return."
One of the formulas being said by the priest or any lay minister as ashes are imposed on one's forehead.
I do remember a priest who used to tell people: Mamamatay ka rin! (You will die eventually!) He says this in a way as to either console those maltreated by others or to call the maltreaters' attention to mend their ways.
"Repent and believe in the Gospel."
This is another formula being used more often than the first one. It is, I think, more positive and more reassuring in the sense that although our mortal remains would go back to dust, our souls would never be in such sorry state. The only condition is to have a change of heart and reconcile with the Lord.
Manang Flor Singson has been one of the many faces in Gagalangin parish that I will not forget. A colleague in a few parish organisations, I have worked with her on several occasions. One of the most remarkable was during the Solemnity of St Joseph every March. I feel honoured everytime she would phone me up and ask my assistance in preparing the programme for the event. Amidst being trampled upon like dust by the powers-that-be in the community, there she was raising me up, inviting me to take an active role in such a holy occasion. I still recall how we 'ganged up' on Fr Bhong Guerrero regarding how the Novena should be run - Manang Flor on the phone and me through e-mail. When the festivities were over, the priest told me, in a joking manner, that he implemented my suggestions.
I saw Manang when I was in Manila in 2006, but didn't have the chance to talk to her as she was busy (as usual) in her roles in the church.
To Manang Flor, thank you for being so kind to me. May the good Lord bless you on your birthday (9th February)!
No comments:
Post a Comment