When I started working at the Nottingham Trent University in April last year, my line manager told me that I would be handling two programmes: the Master of Business Administration (MBA) and the Master of Public Administration (MPA). What caught my attention was the latter as the students taking this were not from the UK, but from China. I felt excited right away as I would have some sort of connection with my "long-lost cousins".
For nine months, I have worked with these students - 25 senior managers form the Municipal Government of Wenzhou, China - providing them pastoral support, liaising between them and colleagues, assisting them in anyway possible. It was a learning experience for me too. Take for example our first meeting with some of their representatives. After collecting their induction packs, they asked me for directions in going back to their flats. Holding a map (which we got from one of the packs), we walked along the road not fully aware that we actually took a longer route to reach their place! It was a good thing it wasn't raining at that time. I have to remove my coat as I was already perspiring due to the long walk. In spite being in the UK for 4 years, I still need to be familiar with many locations and routes.
Because they are only staying in Nottingham for a short period of time and are unfamiliar with the place, I tried my best to be visible for them as much as possible. They remind me of when I was starting to settle in the UK.
When we see each other, I could really feel the warmth and affection they have for me. It was as though I was never a stranger to them. They keep me on the ground so to speak. For Chinese and Filipinos have similar traits and values like team spirit, close family ties, diligence, etc.
These past few weeks have been challenging for them as they need to do a presentation of their research and submit a hard copy of their dissertation. I have seen most of them - generally relieved that the programme is almost over and that they are ready to come back to their families.
I was deeply touched with Dongmin Wu, one of the jolliest students in the programme. When he was about to leave the office, he shook my hand and gave me a fraternal hug. My heart was filled with happy tears by an e-mail I received from Caiguo Xia, an ever-reliable student representative who goes the extra mile to help others, thanking me for what I have done for them throughout their stay in the University. He said "All of us will remember you as our good brother. Goodbye, my brother!"
Thank you, Caiguo, Yujiang, Dongmin, and the rest of Wenzhou cohort for giving me the favour to be of service to you and, most specially, for considering me as your brother. You're not my long-lost cousins. You are brothers and sisters to me! As I write this, I wish you a safe trip back home and many happy returns as you celebrate the New Year with your loved ones. I hope we could reunite in China soon.
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment