Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Doing 'Mission'

Four years ago, during the Despedida (Spanish for 'Farewell') Party offered to me by Msgr Nestor Cerbo, Manila Metrolitan Cathedral Rector, the good priest prayed that I be "a missionary" in the UK.

I was deeply touched and, at the same time, challenged with what he prayed for. Like the missionaries who are very much involved in the many facets of evangelization in strange lands, I too felt unsure how I could do my 'mission' in England.

The first church where we worshipped was the Church of the Good Shepherd which is near the City Hospital where Nidz is working. We normally attend the afternoon Sunday Mass and more often than not, I was asked by one of the volunteers to assist in collecting donations which I gladly accepted. After a few Sundays, I met the parish priest Fr Frank McLaughlin. He was a nice man who welcomed me, after a few months, to do the Mass readings. He literally welcomed me as I walked up the lectern!

Later on, I have to bid adieu to Fr Frank and the parish as we moved to another place where the church is just walking distance from home. At the Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Church, we were warmly welcomed by Msgr David Forde. I have been serving as a reader in this parish, apart from other voluntary work, for three years already.

In between serving these parishes, I also got involved at the Cathedral Church of St Barnabas which is near where I used to work. For a year, I assisted Fr Geoffrey Hunton in organizing the weekly Cathedral Bulletin.

As I look back, my heart is full of thanks to the Lord who gave me the courage to volunteer in these communities. I am thankful too to these priests (as well as Msgr Thomas McGovern, Frs John Kyne and Paul Newman, Sr Margaret and her fellow nuns, and the lay faithful) for the chance they have given me to profess my faith, to do my 'mission'.

I hope that I could continue my 'mission' in whatever form or shape the Lord would want it to be and wherever He would send me.

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP