Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Ninong Gob

This was how I was called by a handful of ex-students in UST whose Confirmation I stood witness to a couple of years ago. The first word is obvious. The second is due to my facial similarities, as these students would say, with a movie actor-turned governor (at that time) of my maternal province.

This moniker suddenly came back to life due to three events that took place in March. First of all was my appointment as a foundation governor of St Margaret Clitherow Catholic Primary School, a community school in our neighbourhood which is equivalent to our elementary school in the Philippines. School governors act like Board of Trustees members dealing with school policies vis-a-vis Church teachings, staff appointments, and the like.

Second memorable event was the baptism of Kyan Louis, Elmer and Thez' Navaja's first-born son. Thez is Nidz's bestfriend and former classmate in college. It was a happy celebration to be with the Navajas whom we have not seen for two years.

Third and last unforgettable occasion indeed was the wedding of Nelson and Nancy Acpal. I say unforgettable for this is the first time I became a principal sponsor in someone's nuptial. Both were my fellow volunteers both in St Joseph Parish and at the Manila Cathedral.

Looking back, I feel honoured, grateful, and challenged for being invited to accept these roles. Honoured because people recognize me for who I am. Grateful because they believe in what I can do. Challenged because it is no joke to be called "Ninong" or "Gob" or both.

I see a common denominator in all three roles: Faith. Faith that needs to be nurtured, shared, and proclaimed. I hope and pray that I will truly be an active witness to this faith, a faith that was brought about by the Lord Jesus' Passion, Death, and Resurrection.

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP