Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Art of Slowing Down

August and September have been busy months in my workplace. Old timers would tell that during these months - September especially - have been quiet months. Times have changed and so lots of overtime have been pledged - mine included. Apart from the extra work I was given the chance to sit on the 'Big Chair' to cover my line manager's absence. Hence when September came I promised myself to slow down lest I end up sick. (I did end up ill one day.)

Driving can be full of challenges and enjoyment, particularly when you are confident in your manoeuvres and gear changes. I do enjoy driving in 40+ mph zones as every vehicle is on the rush without much worry of a traffic. It's when approaching a 30 mph zone, a roundabout (like a 'rotonda' in the Filipino setting), or traffic lights that you have to say 'Adios' to that fifth gear.

Slowing down on these two instances needs anticipation. At work, you anticipate that you might get sick if you keep on working. In driving you anticipate potential hazards on the road be it another car slowing down or a toddler crossing carelessly. The earlier you slow down, the better chance for you to think and act in time. If you delay slowing down you might end up sick or in a crash.

Prayer is one way of slowing down from the grind of work, work, and lots more work. The rosary is one good example. Here, the souls anticipates its need to be one with its Creator and vice-versa. Once the soul slows down and gets refreshed, it can be more ready to do God's will.

As we celebrate Rosary Month, let us take time to slow down and put our mind and heart at rest whilst contemplating the life of Our Lord and the Blessed Virgin depicted in the 20 mysteries of the Rosary.

***


10th October is my beloved mother's birthday. When I was a kid she would prod me to pray the rosary in our living room. During that time I preferred playing than praying. I joined her, however I attempted to escape, only to be caught and hit by her slipper flying in the air. Now that I am abroad I miss the days when we recited the rosary with my siblings and with our ka-barangays. We may be separated but through the rosary we are reunited.

Happy birthday, Mama Aydz!

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP