Powered by Blogger.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Renewed by the Spirit

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Towards the end of the 90s, Nidz and I decided to join the Singles for Christ (SFC), one of the renewal groups under the umbrella of the Couples for Christ. We have never been involved in any renewal groups before – I was affiliated with the traditional (or ‘mandated’) organizations in the parish. For one, I was never used to clap and raise my hand while singing praise songs to the Lord. I even made fun at some of their songs. And now, here I am joining in their chorus.

We decided to join because we were then thinking of how we can go further with our relationship. We thought that SFC would provide us with directions.

Being in a renewal group involves activities like Christian Living Program (CLP), Chapter meetings, Household meetings, and the like. More often than not, these activities happen one week after another. Thanks to the support of my leaders I had the chance of becoming a facilitator in one of the CLPs and, eventually, a household leader.

In spite of my short stint at SFC, I further developed my devotion to the reading of the Holy Bible. As a Mass reader and one time writer for the Before Sundays column, it is important to have that skill and understanding of Holy Scriptures so you can be an effective reader and writer.

Also, I have honed my prayer habits. Although traditional prayers are good, these should never restrict you from having a heart-to-heart talk with God. When I was teaching in UST, I then assigned students to lead in the prayer. I encouraged them to compose their prayers on the grounds that “God is our Father.” I perceived the Mass and other forms of devotion as an encounter with God and with my brothers and sisters.

I became more conscientious of getting out of my comfort zone and reaching out to others as commissioned by Jesus. My ministry is no longer confined to the four corners of the church.

Finally, SFC has provided us with the support we needed in moving our relationship to a deeper and life-time commitment called marriage.

These endeavours, however, would not be possible without a greater power – the Holy Spirit Himself.

I hope and pray that SFC and the other units making up CFC would continue to remain faithful in their apostolate so that, prompted by the Holy Spirit; they will “renew the face of the earth”.

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP