
Since 1992, February 11 has been called World Day of the Sick. The late Pope John Paul II instituted this “…to raise awareness among the faithful of the contribution made by the sick and suffering people of the world to the human community and to world peace.” (Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Newsletter, 05 February 2006)
***
Last week we visited a friend who was confined in the hospital. She was very weak but could still recognize us and speak. I may be talkative to people, but on this occasion I was dumbfounded. It seems that I can only stand there making my friend feel my presence. I held her hand when we were about to leave. Until now I still have a vivid experience of that visit.
Jesus, the Divine Healer, have mercy on the sick.
Mary, Our Lady of Lourdes, intercede for your ailing children.
***
“I love nurses because they give warmth to a world that is need of one.”
These were the words I once wrote to my wife when I was courting her. Indeed, I don’t know where they get the energy to be on the move taking care of the sick. I told her that nurses, doctors, and others in the health care profession should be super humans who never get sick. Imagine tending people afflicted with all sorts of diseases. There’s the likelihood that you’ll get sick too.
***
February 11 too, I was told, is a day to remember those who take care of the sick.
***
Labs, I’ll always be here to give you comfort and strength especially after an exhausting day in the ward.
***
And for everyone else out there who have dedicated their lives in alleviating the sufferings of the sick, I salute you!
Last week we visited a friend who was confined in the hospital. She was very weak but could still recognize us and speak. I may be talkative to people, but on this occasion I was dumbfounded. It seems that I can only stand there making my friend feel my presence. I held her hand when we were about to leave. Until now I still have a vivid experience of that visit.
Jesus, the Divine Healer, have mercy on the sick.
Mary, Our Lady of Lourdes, intercede for your ailing children.
“I love nurses because they give warmth to a world that is need of one.”
These were the words I once wrote to my wife when I was courting her. Indeed, I don’t know where they get the energy to be on the move taking care of the sick. I told her that nurses, doctors, and others in the health care profession should be super humans who never get sick. Imagine tending people afflicted with all sorts of diseases. There’s the likelihood that you’ll get sick too.
February 11 too, I was told, is a day to remember those who take care of the sick.
Labs, I’ll always be here to give you comfort and strength especially after an exhausting day in the ward.
And for everyone else out there who have dedicated their lives in alleviating the sufferings of the sick, I salute you!
No comments:
Post a Comment