During Anluwage's heydays in Gagalangin, I couldn't relate with my colleagues whenever they talk about school - most of them studied in the local high schools. I studied elsewhere, at the Colegio de San Juan de Letran where my Dad and his brothers studied.Letran has impressed quite alot on me. First is the devotion to the Holy Rosary. When I was in sixth grade (I was then a transferee from Kawit, Cavite.), our class adviser Ms Carmelita Lopez used to check if we all got our rosaries. The rosary forms part of our school uniform. Ms Lopez's style of checking was 'name and shame'. Every row has a leader who'll do the checking and then report to the whole class by saying "I'm happy to tell you that all my classmates are in complete uniform." It's when the "I'm sorry to tell you..." that makes the reporting interesting. Once the teacher hears these words, she'll ask who's got incomplete uniform and what is it that's missing, e.g. rosary, ID, black leather shoes, etc. Till now I make it a point to have my rosary on my breast pocket.
Another is team work, for example cleaning the room to organizing activities for the class and for the whole department. I can never forget the times when we have a drama in Filipino and English and some of us have to play the female roles - during that time Letran elementary and high school departments catered exclusively for boys.
I almost didn't become a Letranite when I constantly failed in the Math entrance exam. Thanks goes to my late grandmother who patiently taught me prior to my last exam, which happened on my birthday ages ago. I later found myself in a school that isn't only known for being sports-minded but is also excellent in the academics like Mathematics. Through the numerous Mathematics I was taught - Algebra, Basic/Analytic Geometry, and Trigonometry - I was able to love this subject which would later form part of my Chemistry degree.
There are still some more lessons I've learned from Letran from building friendships to meeting students of the opposite sex, from helping each other to learn the subject to deciding what course to take in college.
For all that Letran has done for me, I can only sing the following lines from the Alma Mater Hymn:
Orgullosos de ti y tu historiaNuestras almas desde hoy juraran:
Conquistar por tu honor nuevas glorias
Y jamas olvidarte, Letran!
(We are proud of you and your history
Our souls pledge from now on:
To conquer new glories for your honor
And never forget you, Letran!)
This week, I’ve go two loved ones who have celebrated or are celebrating their natal days and I’m taking this opportunity to greet them:
Nicola, my younger sister (Nov 8) – when she was born I was so excited to see her that I missed the school service and hit my head accidentally twice. When I started teaching in UST, she was already a Med Tech student there. Her college was just 1 floor beneath ours so I was able to keep an eye on her. I miss you so much, dear sister. Hope you’ll have your dreams fulfilled and, at the same time, we’ll see you soon.
Bob, my first cousin (Nov 15) – because I didn’t have any older brother to look up to, he is definitely and rightfully called “Ang Manong ni Manong”. I have worked side-by-side with him when he was Musical Director of the “Panunuluyan” as well as the “Hosanna” and “Salubong” events in Kawit, Cavite. Thanks for the confidence you have given me, cousin. Looking forward to see “Heritage” a part of every Filipino home.
No comments:
Post a Comment