Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, June 02, 2005

IMPORTED LECTURER

September 2004 was a big break for me as I was appointed Science lecturer at The People’s College, Nottingham - the oldest college in the city. (How many times I have been associated with the old – I am the eldest in the brood, I studied in the oldest institutions in the Philippines – even here in Europe!) It was a challenging role as I have to teach not only Chemistry, but Biology and Physics as well.

During the first meetings, I was a bit struggling as I have to adapt to a new learning environment. I have to speak in English all the time – with an accent that is easily understood. For example, I have to say “power” with a silent “r” and “body” with a rounded “o”. And because the country is rich, the college has high tech facilities that I was able to use in lessons. Most of my lecturers were in PowerPoint which saves me a lot of time writing scientific jargons on the board – white board that is. Then I simply give handouts to students for them to take home for their private revision.

Apart from these were the students – there are White (also known as Brits, short for Britons), Paki (for Pakistanis), Muslim, and Black. The age range too has to be taken into consideration – students were 10 years younger or older than me. Some are assertive, others are silent. Some prefer to work on their own, others enjoy team work. Not all of them though persevered to the end. For the rest, who through thick and thin, chill and heat were always at task I can surmise their thirst for knowledge.

As I have mentioned already, some who may have been older than me still go back to study because they want to achieve something – a degree in university, a promotion at work, or simply to learn. How I wish our country could provide an opportunity for people who were not given the chance to study (e.g. those who became mothers at a tender age) to return to school/college and gain a qualification that can take them to places – be it in Manila, New York, or London.

Our lessons have come to a close lately. I feel happy and fulfilled that the work is finished, but more so because the college and the students have done me a favour by giving me the chance to contribute to their learning experience. I wish my students well in the exams this month.



***



A big “Thank you” to everyone who teamed up to remember me during my birthday. When I was reading each “award” I doubted if I was the person whom you have honoured. Rest assured that I will treasure the accolades you have heaped on me.



God bless you all!

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP