Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, May 12, 2005



Born and Bred in Gagalangin







My British colleagues have described me to be polite or respectful. To which I answered, “I actually came from a place which called ‘respected’.” Ever since a child, I kept wondering why our town was named “Gagalangin”. Some may even find it hard to enunciate the name like my US-based cousin who once was heard to say “Galagalangin”. Of course, any fluent Filipino/Tagalog-speaking citizen would understand that the name came from the word “galang” (respect). During my stint as Editor of Ang Pahayagang Anluwage, I had a late afternoon chat with James and Felice Carls. During our conversation, the late Sir James told me that the reason behind the name was that the respected people of society (“iginagalang” or “kagalang-galang”) once lived here. This claim was bolstered by a book found by Anluwage colleagues at the National Library years ago. The book, which featured different districts of Manila, mentioned too that Gagalangin was a vast plantation of oranges (“dalanghita”) and other vegetables.

However, because the place is in the notorious district of Tondo, there has been a general perception that the town is riddled with crime, vice, and what-have –you. In effect you may ask “Meron pa bang maigagalang sa Gagalangin?” (Is there anything else respectable in Gagalangin?) Indeed, there came a time when Gagalangin became a haven for hoodlums. This may have begun when people from other parts of the country migrated to this “once marshy suburb” after World War II. Gone are the days when Gagalangin is called “Forbes Park ng Tondo”.

In spite of this harsh reality, Gagalangin has been a witness to many chapters of my life. I was born in St Rita Hospital, when people have hangover (after the fiesta) three decades ago. I received the Sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation in St Joseph Parish Church. My first attendance at Mass might have taken place in either the hospital chapel or the church. It wasn’t then surprising to see me serve in these places later on as religious affairs co-ordinator, teacher, and parish volunteer. I was even elected barangay councillor in the late 90s. I believe that through my service in Gagalangin I would be able to give something in return to my birthplace and hometown. On a more personal note, it was the place where romance blossomed between me and a delightful woman who would later become my spouse.

Gagalangin too is my teacher, a teacher who can, at times, be frank of speaking the truth no matter if I get hurt or not. One of her lessons challenged me a lot. Was it about getting rich or popular? Absolutely not! Her lecture reads: People may think I have lost my dignity. It’s never lost even if the rich and noble have gone elsewhere. My dignity is found in your heart, my son, and in the hearts of my other children. Live up to that dignity, wherever you may be.

What does Gagalangin have to say to you? Take the time to review your notes this fiesta, before the noise, food, or drinks get in your head!

Happy fiesta, fellow Gagalangineños!

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP