Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, March 10, 2005







Serving at St Joseph de Gagalangin Parish was an opportunity I did not let go. Apart from having the chance to be with God and with people, it was in keeping with family values/tradition. Idealist as I was before, I thought that serving the community was a bed of roses. The Gospels proved me wrong. It wasn’t a bed that I discovered, but a cross that I have to carry if I really wanted to follow Our Lord.

I have had lots of stories about those times when I was still on “active duty”, but let me focus on one colourful experience that occurred on the eve of the controversial parish centennial. I’ve decided to present my past by stations.

1st station: The letter
Early 2002, I sent a letter to Fr Nestor Gungon, new parish priest at that time, informing him of the centennial in 2005. I went further by suggesting that a committee be created for such event. A copy of the parish’s history was attached to that letter since, according to Mercy Isla (Cofradia de San Jose president), the priest requested for one.

2nd station: The first meeting
Palm Sunday 2002, I fetched Fr Gungon who was invited to lead the Way of the Cross in our barangay. One of his first words to me were, “Tutulungan mo kami ha?” referring to my proposal. He was such an open and straight forward person. He told me and some of our colleagues a piece of his mind on the centennial.

3rd station: The conference
When the Lenten and Parish Fiesta were over, Rody Segovia (Parish Pastoral Council president), called for a conference of people he thought can be tapped for the centennial. The agenda, strangely, was to check people’s commitment (for the centennial). We were going nowhere so I was given the floor to discuss the proposal and, without much of a preparation, drew up several sub-committees making up the Centennial Steering Committee. Eyebrows were raised as I started to talk. It was a comeback for me after a number of years in oblivion. There were hostile queries about what will happen to the council when the committee is put up. Next day, my proposal was approved in the council meeting, amidst more eyebrows raised.

4th station: The appointments
After that meeting, the council officers selected people who will man the committee/sub-committees. I was offered the top post, but I declined due to my personal commitments – I was getting married and was also writing my MSc thesis. In July, the council appointed Rody Segovia to chair the committee. I was given the Research portfolio. Richard Leyson lambasted the appointments in his column “Usapang Patyo” criticising the council for appointing themselves to key posts in the committee.

5th station: The shake-up
During Anluwage’s anniversary in October, I had a chat with Fr Gungon. He was complaining of the committee’s slowness. He told me that Segovia was setting aside centennial plans “…kasi meron tayong Priest Day, meron tayong pista, meron tayong ganitong gawain…”. Indeed, Richard’s critique was being realised. During the council meeting in October 2002, Segovia and other council officers like Cely Domingo and Mely Ramos were confusing their council roles with their committee roles. That same month, I wrote a letter to Segovia criticising his actions. I called for a mass resignation to allow reorganisation of the committee. He called for a meeting with all committee chairs. They asked me to accept the chairmanship. I reluctantly accepted it. In the council meeting of November, they announced their resignation and my appointment. I was not present then as I saw no reason for coming. Fr Gungon, who was furnished a copy of my letter, issued a policy on how both committee and council would function: committee proposes and organises centennial events while council takes charge of approving these events (including budget) and collection/safekeeping/disbursement of funds.

6th station: The heart-to-heart talk
Fr Gungon called for me to meeting on Sunday afternoon. Loury Serdon and Rommel Viray, came with me. He knew that there is bad blood between the council officers and myself, but he convinced me of the value of service and assured me too of his support. Knowing that he is on my side, I have had a fresher insight of what I and my colleagues can do for the centennial. During the council meeting the following Sunday, I presented to the assembly the other officers of the committee plus some proposals for 16th December, the 97th anniversary of the parish. The budget for that event was approved.

7th station: The prince and the pauper
Because of Gungon’s policy, we have to make representations with the Parish office and with Mely Ramos. Loury and Rommel struggled to chase Gungon and Ramos. This was complicated further by Lenny Dualin, Gungon’s sister, who takes charge of the Parish office. There was money, yet it came on a “pahirapan” system.

8th station: The planning workshop
We managed to saw the end of 2002 and the beginning of 2003. It was then time to plan the events so once again we proposed a planning workshop in March. Actually, some sub-committees like Rommel’s Physical Arrangements and Loren Bernardo’s Special Projects have started canvassing materials for their respective events. Gungon was actually the one who brought up the matter in the council meeting. Surprisingly, Rody Morales, a known hard-liner, moved for its approval. After securing the funds, which took awhile before we can get it, we were set to go to Laguna for a 2-day planning session. It was a wonderful experience to be there, to discuss concerns with people, to be engaged in approving/refuting ideas, and to draw up a complete calendar of activities. We were, however, unable to finish the budget.

9th station: The council meeting
In spite of not having yet completed the report, I attended the council meeting in April to inform them of what has occurred during the workshop in Laguna. I apologised that we were not yet able to give them a complete report as we were still finalising the budget. One council officer after another – Morales, Domingo, Norma Estrella, Bernie Gutierrez, etc – quizzed me to no end. We were not keen to send them a half-baked report so no matter how they do it, they could hardly squeeze me into giving them even a tinge of an idea of the events that we have planned. Gungon was enigmatically silent all throughout.

10th station: The Holy Wednesday affair
While others were busy with Holy Week preparations, committee officers were having a whole day session to sort out the budget. Some of us saw Gungon in church and asked if he could come to the meeting. He did not show up. At the end of that meeting, we decided to ask professional help so we can submit a comprehensive budget along with the programme of events to the council. During the rest of the week, I was at the Cathedral serving in the liturgical activities (I was co-ordinator for the lectors/commentators then.). Yet I heard news that during Good Friday, Segovia asked co-officers like Beth Dantes about the committee report. I told Beth that he should have asked me instead.

11th station: The demolition job
We were coping with budget preparation when news of the council meeting on 04 May 2003 was announced, a week earlier than what was usual. We decided not to attend the meeting because, if we come empty handed, we will again experience the same treatment we have had in the previous month. That Sunday morning, I sent a text message to Erly Santos, committee treasurer (concurrently co-ordinator for lectors/commentators), informing her of my absence. I was at the cathedral for my usual service, a meeting with the Rector, and a group meeting (which have been both booked before the council meeting). Later that day, Erly phoned up to tell me that the committee has been dissolved (“dinemolish” was her term) as called for by an angry Gungon. The hard-liners, naturally were united in getting rid of us. There were a few who voted to give us another chance. Others kept mum I was also informed. Immediately, Gutierrez was named to take my place. I later knew that Erly accepted a key post in the nth time re-organised committee.

12th station: The emergency session
Vlad Reyes, my co-chair, and I had an appointment that afternoon at the Cathedral. Right after that, we contacted all officers of the committee for an emergency meeting. Late that night, at out house in Earnshaw St, we recalled what took place in the council meeting. We decided to write an open letter to Gungon condemning his rash decision to ditch us. Erly, who wasn’t in that gathering, declined to sign the letter. Beth didn’t manage to turn-up and sign, but she assured us that she was (and is) one with us. (She and her husband were our staunchest defenders every time others would have said nasty words against us.) We were also unanimous in immediately dismantling the committee room which was given to us 2 months ago.

13th station: The exodus
The next evening, Rommel and I went to church to help others in packing-up. As we were on our way, I saw Nick Nepomuceno in one of the mortuary chapels. Mr Santos “Tatay” Nepomuceno, his father, was dead. I went in to pray for his soul and shook hands with Nick. I saw Estrella, Nick’s older sister, but I did not greet her. As I entered the church gate, Dingdong Pajarillo greeted me. I gave him a cold “Hi!” in return. When we reached the room, Loren and a handful of colleagues were already there. We didn’t stay for too long the way we did before. I never set foot on that church anymore. As we were passing by Juan Luna corner Pampanga, we met Estrella, but we ignored her. She was the one who greeted me.


14th station: The new life
Having been freed from such conditions, I focused on my marriage, my job, and my studies. I became more engaged with the concerns of the Manila Cathedral by managing the lectors/commentators group and volunteering in the Cathedral newsletter, an opportunity that I declined before. I was also able to present my research in a seminar of chemistry teachers in UP. Anluwage, Inc later withdrew its service from the parish as we were already starting to sense moves to destabilize us. June 2003 saw me flying to the UK to join my wife. It’s a challenging life here, but I am coping, fully aware that God has better plans for me.

Lent can be a time of bringing back to mind how we have travelled through life. It can also be a moment of grace when we least expected it.

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP